Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Litang to Chengdu

Finally arrived at the big city.
I more or less decided to run through the route - known as the "backdoor" route to Tibet, and make it here. The road is really really nice, as expected, but highlights in specific places along the way seem to not be high highlights, and I decided to cut a few of the original plans and be able to spend some more quality time in places that will appeal more later on. 

The drop into Chengdu requires some serious acclimatization. Coming from Litang, cool and dry, being the highest city in the world at just over 4,000m altitude, arriving in Chengdu, notoriously hot and humid, can be quite a shock, even though I'm told Chengdu at the moment is quite cool and comfy (with daily highs as low as 30 degrees C).

Now that I'm in Chengdu, see if I can find some time to upload some pictures, and maybe right a bit more soon.
Found a nice new hostel here (they kept asking how I found out about them, as they are quite new, and do not yet appear in any of the travel books etc). Spolling myself rotten, in a room with an A/C, warm and nice shower, King-sized bed, and the place is in the noisy middle of the city and yet perfectly quiet throughout the morning and nights - only sound is when people are playing Ping-pong in the afternoons. [ Called Nova Traveller's Lodge ]

From here I will do my skip - Fly over to Shenzhen and HK, and will get back on a train to Changsha, Hunan (for some of the spiciest food around).

No comments: